Monday, September 27, 2010

MY WORLD ~ A Walk in the Park


Last week was rainy to overcast but no matter, I felt the call
of the wild so on with my Wellingtons . . . for those of you
unacquainted with these handy devices, a brief explanation:
The Iron Duke (Wellington) seemed always to fight his major
battles in wet, very wet, weather which. needless to say with
so many soldiers, cavalry, cannon drays and the like, created a deal
of mud. When the trusty rubber boots were invented they
naturally were named in honour of his Lordship, the hero of
Waterloo.


*
My feet now safe in my Wellies, My camera tucked under my
jacket, I ventitured forth across the paddock to the park. For
many reasons I had not been there all winter and now was
already mid-spring.
*
Above the bearded flowers of maples, below, the sunny gold
of my favourite Wattle, Acacia saligna, bright even on a grey
day.
*

*
Resilient nature way paying tribute to the first really soaking
rains since 1997, everything looked bright eyed and bushy tailed.
I have seldom seen such a prolific flowering on the Banksia,
really quite a sight with its candles all alight.
*

*
You may not think it but this cascade of gold hides a path . . .
Either wade in the dam or play Tarzan and break through
the jungle. Fearing to drown my camera in the former mode
of progress, I opted for the latter
*

*
and safely made it through to the other side. Looking back,
my passage was once more blocked as though I had never been.
*

*
As you see below, the dam/swimming hole is fuller than full.
The overflow is running nicely thank you and it will again be
possible to dive in and cool off in the summertime, snakes
and all!
*

*
The Logo is a peep-hole into other people's lives and surroundings.
*
Thanks to our ever industrious MY WORLD Team we can once
again link hand across the oceans.

17 comments:

  1. Terrific Aussie blooms. I especially like your wattle shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous captures, Arija, as always! The colors and textures are really superb! Wonderful to be able to share your spring! Have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love seeing the exotic flowers you have Arija. It always amazes me how different flora is from one part of the globe to the other.
    What beautiful photos to share....

    XXOO~~♥
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that you finally got some deep soaking rain. Everything looks so lush and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful place. The colorful flowery park is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the beautiful stroll through your part of the world, love seeing new flowers and you showed me several!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome photos of flowers. they're all new to me.:p

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a walk! My, all that glorious YELLOW. Years ago, I used to volunteer in a botanic garden, of sorts (The Ruth Bancroft Garden), where a small collection of cassias thrived. Each spring they would explode with splendiferous yellow, just like yours. Thank you for reminding me :>]]

    Good to see your water level so high!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grandi queste foto dei tuoi fiori.
    Bellissimi !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you have your wellies so that you can enjoy this beauty and then share it with us. I love how your plants, at least some of them are so different from ours. Good day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for the history of your Wellies. I could use a pair of these for our monsoon days. WE've had over 2" of rain in the past 24 hours. More to come tomorrow. :~(
    Love your foiliage.
    Have a wonderful rest of the week Arija.

    ReplyDelete
  12. with all your walking in your gum/wellington boots, I take it that you are A OKAY. Good to know that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so enjoy this walk with you. Is the third photo showing a Banksia Nut? The cone is bigger than those in Queensland. It's a remarkable plant. All those plants you show are typical of Australia and very beautiful! I wish you a great spring and summer and I hope that your health is improving, Arija! Thanks for sharing your world!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how I enjoy your writings and now I know the story behind my wellies. I have a pair that is covered in Holly leaaves and berry prints all over them, and they make me happy and comfy~ Your images just spring to life, lovely, loverly:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never SEEN plants such as these! Such a gorgeous, celebratory display. They are heralding your return, I'm sure.

    You know, I never knew about the origin of Wellies. Very interesting. I suppose he also enjoyed beef, too?

    Aaah, I am so flattered by your reference to Henry O. I love his stories and am honored to spark that memory in you.

    Many hugs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful blooms and a lovely walk!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin