Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Few Silly Galahs

*
This is for all you birders, a few fledgelings
from this summer just ended...
*

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*



...showing off, or hangin on for dear life...
*

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
in Australia we have an old expression: 'ya silly Galah'
it is dual purpose, it can be used lovingly as when
someone gives you an unexpected present just because,
as in 'ya shoodna done that , ya silly Galah!' or con-
versely yelled loud and clear across an intersection when
someone pulls out in front of you. It is also handy
when someone is over dressed to liken them to the
proverbial Galah.
*

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
When young they are ungainly and quite silly, but
there is nothing to compare with a large flock of a
few hundred veering across a late afternoon sky, one
moment a sunset cloud of red, the next a gleaming
pearly grey, that keeps you spellbound just watching
the shifting colours against our deep blue skies.
*

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
For a complete change, a Crested Pigeon. They are
in the habit of camping in the middle of dirt roads at
night and taking off at the approach of people or
vehicles with loud whirring wing beats.

28 comments:

  1. What a cute bird and now I have a new saying to use..Hope you are feeling well Arija or as well as can be expected....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful birds you have there, I pray some day to see them with my own eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The birds in Australia are very spectacular with stunning colours but the sounds they produce are like those of our crows. Thank you for this great post with these beautiful birds. Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, how cute! and funny too :)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Galahs are beautiful! They look funny. Can I meet them in South Australia too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I love Galahs and Gang Gangs!

    May I query your Cattle Egret below? Is it not a Great White Egret?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, on reflection, I wonder if it might be an Intermediate Egret? I know they are quite common in NSW and probably throughout Australia.

    I think the Cattle Egret has a larger "jowl" and are more dumpy ans less slender than the bird depicted in your picture. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only time we see that type of bird around here is if it's in a cage. It's interesting to see them wild.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how I'd love to see that flock fly over in the evening,.. what a beautiful crest on the galah.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful bird! I used to have birds but went on to other things, but I did enjoy thier silly antics.
    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is hands-down one of the best crests I've ever seen! Nice wing-flash from the gullah, too! Great bird fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have often wondered what a galah looked like Arija - now I know. Lovely birds - thank you for putting them on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Galah is a beautiful bird. And I like the saying/insult. Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Arija a few birds that I've not seen in my word other that in cages! sending smiles :)NG

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those birds are just beautiful! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never seen or heard of either of these birds! How nice of you to show them to us. I love the crested pigeon. I'd love to see that cloud of Galahs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Galah is clown-like with a silly hat. Love the colors.Third shot says, who pushed me?
    That lovely dove looks much like our quail.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I visited Australia last February, I loved the Galahs. They used to come and feed at my sister's bird table. And that crested pigeon is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are both beautiful birds. I love the pigeons crest, very stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love those galahs...beautiful! I don't think I would mind being called one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Galah is truly a unique-looking bird! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Arija, I love the colorful birds you have down there...

    our snow is slowly going...

    ReplyDelete
  23. beautiful birds
    thank you for your visit

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful birds, so different from anything we have here. Great photos, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I saw one in the middle of the road the other day and I was very surprised.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin